Job Opportunity - Event Manager
Full time, entry level, salaried position
Immediate Job Opportunity at Sommer Sports: Event Manager
Sommer Sports has an immediate employment opportunity for a full-time Event Manager. The position is based out of our Clermont, Florida office managing Sommer Sports owned and supported events. We are looking for a fun loving, passionate, detail-oriented and articulate person with the ability to manage event operations and produce safe, successful and fun events. You are comfortable and thrive in a fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment. You are good at building effective business relationships throughout all levels of our organization. You know how to “get it done,” no matter the task, with precision and confidence.
This position requires some travel and the ability to work weekends and possibly long hours on event weekends. Familiarity with the triathlon and running community is required.
This is an entry level, full time, salaried position.
The Event Manager will report to the company president.
Our Ideal Candidate
You have analytical skills matched with superb communication. You excel in a fast-paced, ever changing environment, and exceed goals. When something isn’t going as planned, you shift gears quickly, and come up with a new approach and renewed energy to tackle any challenge. Not satisfied with the “same old same old”, are always seeking out new and creative ways to make things happen. You are focused, yet flexible, and know how to lead and earn the respect of a team. While you know there may be no such thing as a perfect event, you work hard to disprove that theory. And most importantly, you know how to have fun! In addition to the attributes mentioned, you should also be able to:
· Manage the permitting process and documentation for all Sommer Sports events working with various city, state and federal permitting agencies.
· Coordinate the event logistics with city & county officials, and police and fire.
· Develop and manage operations budget while exercising cost and expense control.
· Develop and manage a companywide risk management plan.
· Lead the development of important event components such as contingency plan, emergency/safety management plan, and communications plan.
· Source, bid, negotiate, hire and manage contractors for specific event needs.
· Develop needs plan for all equipment and supplies per event and oversee purchasing process.
· Recruit, train and manage labor and crew at events while maintaining a safe work environment;
· Develop course support plans including course marshal needs, water station placement and staffing, course markings, and communications;
· Develop signage and way finding plans for event venues and oversee their execution
· Manage transportation plan for transport of equipment and supplies to event locations.
· Manage event team travel and lodging (when travel required)
· Facilitate maintenance, inventory control and management of all company-owned equipment and supplies
· Manage all rental equipment onsite at events
· Work with Volunteer Coordinator on volunteer needs, assignment, training for all operational areas
· Assist with the development of new event concepts
· Work closely with Sponsor Contact on sponsorship activations at the event venues.
· Maintain strong internal and external communications with all event stakeholders
· Work with other Sommer Sports team members
· Achieve company goals by helping to plan and organize logistically successful Events
· Performing other event and administrative related duties as assigned by management
· College degree preferred but not mandatory; e.g. military service and/or extensive on-the-job-experience may suffice
· Interest, knowledge and passion for the event industry as well as an athletic background are desired
· Minimum 1-2 years relevant event experience.
· Strong ability to manage budget and adhere to accounting policies
· Understands deadlines and thrives within an often unstructured and fast moving environment
· Strong negotiation skills required and the ability to build strong relationships with outside partners
· Flexibility to adjust to changing conditions while maintaining a positive attitude and providing strong leadership to the team
· Highly organized with excellent time management skills
· Decision-making and problem-solving skills coupled with resourcefulness
· Team-player who works well within a team
· Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills
· Microsoft Office expertise (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Ability to work weekends and travel as required
· Ability to work a flexible schedule and long hours when required.
· Ability to work in a very hot and humid environment
· Ability to lift heavy boxes and equipment
· Ability to operate heavy machinery such as a fork lift and bobcat
· Ability to drive up to 26’ box trucks; must have a clean driving record and must be willing to submit to a background check and drug screening if requested.
· Be drama free
This job description reflects the general details of the specific job identified and is not necessarily a complete listing of all the work requirements that may be involved in this job.
This is an exciting opportunity to work for an established and highly regarded event management company with lots of opportunities to grow and learn.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to email a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Jobs@SommerSports.com by March 1, 2017. Only resumes with salary requirements will be considered. Please, no phone calls.